Monday 5 August 2019

Challenge Review: The Light Between Oceans

My #dymocks52challenge book 17/38, for week 31.

Title: The Light Between Oceans
Author: M. L. Stedman
Published: 20/3/2012
First appearance in 101: 2015 (#63)
Years in 101: 5
2019 101 ranking: #53
Rating: 3 stars


Why I chose this book:
Five years straight for this one, so it was one of the first added to my list.Interesting that it debuted at #63, but the release of the film adaptation saw it jump up to the top ten for a couple years, before dropping back again this year.

Thoughts:
The story is divided into three parts, and the first two were incredibly dull. However that last third really did get me, in the end, with all the moral dilemmas and trying to work out what was the right thing to do. It was a struggle to get into, and ultimately a bit too dreary for me, but it's nice to at least understand what all the hype was about.

You can read my full review on Goodreads here.


Verdict: Was it worthy?
This one might stick around, although it's not my kind of thing. It's quite gut wrenching towards the end, and it's those final impressions that stay with you once you finish a book. Overall I don't think the book is that special, but I think the questions it raises towards the end are the kind of thing that will stick with people for a while after reading. It hosts an interesting debate, but personally I found it to be quite dull beyond that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment