Saturday 3 August 2019

Review: The Astrid Notes

The Astrid Notes The Astrid Notes by Taryn Bashford
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Music has always been a pretty constant factor in my life so I was quite interested to read this story about teens taking their music seriously. There's something beautiful and calming, reading about music, and I find it easier to relate to characters who are moved by it.

This story tells of Astrid, who is attempting to fill the rather large shoes of her opera-singer mother, despite crippling stage fright. Into her life wanders Jacob as a student of her father. Jacob is trying to find his voice again in the wake of unspeakable tragedy, and the two naturally come together through the bonds they share.

At first I wasn't sure if this was going to be for me, after all, as I hadn't realised the romance would play such an important part, but in the end the couple won me over.

This is a book about chasing your dreams, and trying to understand the difference between not wanting a thing and just being terrified of it. It had more depth than I expected for a YA novel, and I rather enjoyed getting to know these characters a little deeper. I liked that there wasn't just superficial support between the two -there was real dialogue and that quest to truly understand one another.

It definitely has it's pretty serious cheesy moments, and I did cringe a lot, but overall this was a rather enjoyable story that I connected to through its love of music. I feel like a lot of research went into making sure this world was portrayed just right, and it's payed off.

A lovely novel that I'd definitely recommend for music lovers looking for a nice light read with some deeper characters.

With thanks to the publisher for my ARC.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment