Sunday 11 August 2019

Challenge Review: Normal People

My #dymocks52challenge book 18/38, for week 32.

Title: Normal People
Author: Sally Rooney
Published: 28/8/18
First appearance in 101: 2019 (#47)
Years in 101: 1
2019 101 ranking: #47
Rating: 3 stars


Why I chose this book:
This one has been receiving a lot of praise, though it's not normally the sort of book I'd go for. So when it came to filling the extra slots for this challenge, I tried to still branch a little out of my comfort zone. This seemed like an interesting choice.

Thoughts:
There is some brilliant characterisation in this book, but the story itself is pretty repetitive, and the book seems to rely on the gimmick of messing with format and style to make itself stand out. I wasn't particularly impressed overall, but it did somehow end up being an addictive, easy read.

You can read my full review on Goodreads here.


Verdict: Was it worthy?
No. This will make waves for a little while because of its depth of characterisation and the way it explores the nature of relationships, but ultimately I'd say it's pretty forgettable. It relies too heavily on unusual styling to stand out, so people are more likely to remember that over the story. I suspect it won't linger long in readers' minds.

No comments:

Post a Comment