Sunday 25 August 2019

Challenge Review: Jane Eyre

My #dymocks52challenge book 20/38, for week 34.

Title: Jane Eyre
Author: Charlotte Bronte
Published: 16/10/1847
First appearance in 101: 2008 (#10)
Years in 101: 12
2019 101 ranking: #46
Rating: 4 stars


Why I chose this book:
This one is a classic, and has featured on EVERY Dymocks 101 list since 2008. Pretty impressive! I do love the classics, but this one never really attracted me before this challenge. I was happy to add it, but wasn't sure it would be my thing.

Thoughts:

Thankfully this exceeded my expectations and ended up being a great read. I'm not a huge fan of romance but this drew me in with the mystery of that 3rd floor room and then of course I ended up becoming invested in the relationship between Jane and Rochester. It was a wild ride that took a few turns, so it had some unexpected surprises.

You can read my full review on Goodreads here.


Verdict: Was it worthy?
Definitely. Classics are classics for a reason! This one is written beautifully and features a strong female lead who goes against the norm to follow her heart and do what makes her happy. Its themes will resonate throughout time, meaning it is a great read no matter when you choose to pick it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment