Thursday 21 March 2024

Review: Hellblazer: Rise and Fall

Hellblazer: Rise and Fall Hellblazer: Rise and Fall by Tom Taylor
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Not quite what I was expecting from Tom Taylor, but still an interesting, standalone story.

There's a lot that goes unexplained, so it's probably not a great introduction for people looking to know more about John Constantine. There's a mention of him doing magic to impress his friends when he's younger, and then adult John is a full blown magician with no further explanation so you're forced to kind of just go along with it. So if you want the origin story look elsewhere.

As it is, though, this is a fun lil demonic story with some ... interesting ... characters.

The artwork is decent, with some great gory bits, too. It reminded me a lot of the artwork that usually accompanies a Garth Ennis comic, so I felt pretty at home with the style.

It's short but coherent and well structured. Not a lot of character development, but with a limited story like this I guess it's expected.

Not for newbies to the character, but not too bad as a standalone story.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment