Tuesday 19 March 2024

Review: A Mystery from the Mummy-Pits: The Amazing Journey of Ankh-Hap

A Mystery from the Mummy-Pits: The Amazing Journey of Ankh-Hap A Mystery from the Mummy-Pits: The Amazing Journey of Ankh-Hap by Frank L. Holt
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Narrated by Nigel Patterson

A fascinating look into the mummy trade, and the life of one before and after death.

I really enjoyed the way this was laid out. There's a lot of info, but the way it's organised makes it easy to digest. This book discusses firstly the practice of mummification and its hows and whys, followed by some of the grievances these human remains suffered in later years. There's a lot of information on travelling mummies as attractions and display pieces for the rich, and how parts were often sold for various reasons - including medicinal.

There's an exploration of mummies in pop culture, and how it has impacted the societal view, turning these ancient remains into villainous figures. Further, there's the quest to determine whose remains are whose, and where, and how they got there.

Throughout, there's a focus on Ankh-Hap, a 'regular Joe' type figure, in comparison to the much more famous Tutankhamun.

I found it really easy to listen to, and fascinating. I appreciated the respect the author had, and the care he took to remind the reader that, ultimately, mummies are human remains that deserve to be treated as such.

As much as I enjoyed the audio, I think this book would really come alive with the images and figures mentioned in the audio. I'd love to have seen the accompanying photos, depictions and graphs. It was also a challenge when mummies were referred to by alphanumeric sequences, which I feel would easily be rectified by sight.

That said, I enjoyed the audio for its flawless pronunciation, which helped me really picture these historical figures instead of getting bogged down by the spelling of names.

It was an insightful, respectful exploration of mummies and their place in history as well as modern culture. I really enjoyed it, and highly recommend for anyone interested in the subject matter.

With thanks to Netgalley for an audio ARC

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment