Monday 4 March 2024

Review: Her Lost Soul

Her Lost Soul Her Lost Soul by Helen Phifer
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Narrated by Stephanie Canon

I didn't realise, going into this, that it's the second in a series. That didn't change anything for me at all. There are a few references to previous weird happenings that Maria has dealt with, but aside from that this was easily read as a standalone.

Another audio listen, and it was entertaining enough. The audio didn't really impact my read - I listened mostly attentively, and aside from most of the men sounding the same it was easy enough to hear the story as it was written.

Riley and her friends are exploring an old, abandoned mental institution (one of my favourite tropes) when she goes missing. Things about her disappearance are a little strange, so Detective Miller and her partner, Frankie, are put on the case.

These two worked well together, but I was happy to ignore most of the 'no we're just friends for real' stuff in favour of the actual story unfolding. We're given a second storyline from 1960, and I found that part particularly fascinating. Faye was an unexpected character that I was happy to meet, and I'll be googling for real-life similarities later today for sure.

Pacing was great, characters were fun and dynamic, and the story was intriguing. An easy listen.

With thanks to Netgalley for an audio ARC

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment