Monday 11 March 2024

Review: With a Little Luck

With a Little Luck With a Little Luck by Marissa Meyer
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Narrated by Stacy Carolan.

I loved this, it was stinkin' adorable.

An ode to geeks everywhere.

Once again, I didn't realise I was reading a sequel, but as a bonus I actually read the first book a couple years back so it was an extra delight! I'd forgotten these characters, to be honest, but when I put it together it added extra fun.

Here's the plot: Jude is a Nerd (aaaaand I'm already sold) who loves to play D&D and draw comics (sold again). He stumbles on a D20 that somehow gives him unstoppable luck, and suddenly he's copping a wave of miracle occurrences. Which helps, because there's this girl he really likes ...

What I really loved most here was the way the characters were done. Maya in particular was a lot of fun, and I appreciated her development a lot. There were nowhere near as many cringe moments as I expected from a YA novel with this kind of plot - that's Marissa Meyer for you! Great characters and it's hard not to root for all of them.

There's several different elements to the story - nerd culture, music, fame, fortune, popularity etc - but it ties together effortlessly and flows nicely. I loved how many facets the characters had, and it was fun to see them exploring these things.

Also, as someone who has JUST done their first ever D&D session, it was bundles of fun listening to those references. Even my partner was giggling at some of the references, despite 'not listening'. XD

It was such wholesome, nerdy fun, and I enjoyed it immensely. The audio added a lot of fun, too, with roleplaying enhanced by music and sound effects.

A delightful, nerd adventure with a soft heart, this will have you cheering for everyone all at the same time. Even EZ won me over by the end.

Highly recommend this for nerds of all types, romance lovers, and people looking for a good bit of teenage fluff to waste a few hours with. I listened to the whole thing in a day and it was fantastic.

With thanks to Netgalley for an audio ARC

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment