Sunday 2 June 2019

Challenge Review: Circe

My #Dymocks52challenge 7/38 for Week 21.

Title: Circe
Author: Madeline Miller
Published: 10/4/18
First appearance in 101: 2019
Years in 101: 1
2019 101 ranking: #48
Rating: 2 stars


Why I chose this book:
Hello, have you seen the name of my blog? I'm pretty fascinated by myths and legends so this was an easy add when it came to filling the list. I'd read a lot of positive reviews and Circe is such a great, yet mysterious, character so I was really looking forward to her having her own story. Particularly when I enjoyed Song of Achilles (the author's previous novel) so much.


Thoughts:
Wow. Talk about disappointment. This was heartrendingly mundane. How do you take such an interesting character from one of the great Greek legends and turn her into a naive whiner who spends all her time mooning over boys and complaining about her family? I was expecting to fly through this book in a day or two but it took me almost two weeks, causing my first delay of the challenge. What a train wreck.

I did enjoy that brief glimpse of my boy, Icarus, though.

You can read my full review on Goodreads here.


Verdict: Was it worthy?
Not even a little bit. The prose is for people who like minute details and vague opening sentences, but the story is pretty bland unless you're into vegetation and chores. Don't be sucked into the hype on this one or you may be sorely disappointed. I don't expect it to pop up on the list again next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment