Saturday 29 June 2019

Review: The Four Agreements: A Practical Guide to Personal Freedom

The Four Agreements: A Practical Guide to Personal Freedom The Four Agreements: A Practical Guide to Personal Freedom by Miguel Ruiz
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This was quite insightful and full of practical wisdom and ideas that really make you think.

I like that it's short and easy to read, though to be honest it does seem to repeat itself a fair bit. I think that's intentional to kind of help the message sink in, but it had the opposite effect for me and made me want to skim.

It's an accessible kind of book that is a nice easy introduction to opening the mind. It essentially teaches strategies for looking beyond the material world so that one can feel happiness no matter what situation they find themselves in. I like that idea. I appreciate what this book is trying to teach.

Like many spirituality books, however, I was a little put off by the overuse of God. I think that it kinda makes me pull away a bit because everyone has different religious interpretations and beliefs so when a book tells me I have to be thankful to God I feel slightly resentful. Can't I just be generally thankful to whomever deserves the thanks?

Also, the end section seemed a little tacked on to me, like it was just trying to make up the page count. It was still interesting information, but once you finish the section on the fourth agreement you're really just ready for the conclusion.

Overall, though, I enjoyed it; I think there is a lot of wisdom here and it's short and practical enough that even those who may not be as spiritually inclined should get something out of it.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment