Wednesday 19 June 2019

Review: The Power of Your Subconscious Mind

The Power of Your Subconscious Mind The Power of Your Subconscious Mind by Joseph Murphy
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Three stars for the book itself but a solid five for its ideas.

I love the concept of using your imagination to change your life. It makes a lot of sense to me and appeals to the creative me. One of my favourite literature quotes is, 'I like them to talk nonsense. That is man's one privilege over all creation.' I love that there is no limit to what our minds can do. And to harness that power to alter one's life for the better is a truly inspiring idea.

I do honestly believe that what we think, we can become. I've always believed that whatever I truly need, the universe will provide, and it's interesting to think that my believing that has made it so. I liked the way the analogies in this book made me see that subconscious mind from a different perspective. I just enjoyed the process of thinking about all the ways I could harness my own subconscious mind to alter my life for the better, and become all the things I want to be.

That being said, the overall delivery of the book was a bit off. It's heavily religious, with plenty of references to God and bible verses. The chapter on marriage was a bit of a tough one for me because it's all about praying with your husband/wife and there's zero consideration of atypical unions. That bothered me a lot, particularly with our country set to vote to give homosexuals the same marriage rights as heterosexuals. It's pretty important to me that their rights be recognised by society, so this chapter was a bit of salt in the wound.

There were also a LOT of examples/case studies, and for many of them I found myself becoming quite skeptical. Particularly when people who had never heard of the author were quoted as saying his phrases. There were also instances where a conclusion was left out and I couldn't help but question why. I'm sure there was a bit of literary license happening here but it bothered me that this wasn't disclosed.

All in all, though, I loved reading this. It'll probably be a bit much for non-religious skeptics, but I really enjoyed playing the ideas through in my mind and I look forward to the benefits of using my subconscious mind for happiness and prosperity.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment