Monday 22 April 2024

Review: The Devil's Flute Murders

The Devil's Flute Murders The Devil's Flute Murders by Seishi Yokomizo
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Narrated by Akira Matsumoto
Presented by Bolinda Audio


This was so good I now want to read the whole series. Minus a star for over-enthusiastic narrator.

Murder and intrigue in post-war Japan sees detective Kindaichi interviewing the noble Tsubaki family after the death of one of their own. Things become complicated when the dead man seems to reappear to cause all kinds of drama for the family.

So many murders, so much drama! God, it was so addictive!

There were so many elements to the mystery and I just could not figure any of it out. I knew things would be connected but I couldn't figure out HOW and I LOVED that!! It just kept twisting and getting stranger and stranger and WOW. Did not see any of it coming.

Narration was okay but just ... too much. It didn't seem to fit what the author was describing and he had a habit of making the female characters sound ridiculously emotional. I didn't like it. Flawless Japanese pronunciations, which was appreciated, but over the top performance.

I enjoyed listening, but I think I would have got more out of this if I'd read it. I'm keen to go back to book 1 and see how it compares.

With thanks to NetGalley for an audio ARC

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment