Wednesday 3 April 2024

Review: How Can I Trust You?

How Can I Trust You? How Can I Trust You? by A.J. Campbell
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Narrated by Eilidh Beaton
Presented by Bookouture Audio


I felt unreasonably detached from this story, so the whole thing was kind of bizarre.

Ashley and Danny are the perfect couple - until he's discovered standing over the bludgeoned body of his best friend, with the murder weapon in hand. As Ashley tries to work out what happened, she discovers more and more secrets that seem to have been deliberately hidden from her. Maybe her husband isn't the man she thought he was?

This was a really great setup and I was so bamboozled for the whole thing. There were so many secrets and lies and it was so hard to keep up with what the hell was going on.

Ashley had an excellent balance of believing her husband but also confronting him when necessary. She struck me as a really clever character, and I thought she handled things pretty well, actually. I wasn't sold on her love for that bratty kid of hers, but otherwise she seemed pretty switched on and it was easy to root for her.

The narration was otherworldly somehow - I don't know if it was the accent or tone or what, but it completely transported me to a different world. I did find it confusing to differentiate between who was speaking, but otherwise it was easy enough to listen to.

This was a decent thriller with some interesting moments. I did want a little more than just a secretive marriage and the related troubles, but otherwise this was a fun listen that kept me guessing.

With thanks to NetGalley for an audio ARC

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment