Tuesday 9 April 2024

Review: Doctor Strange: Dimension War

Doctor Strange: Dimension War Doctor Strange: Dimension War by James Lovegrove
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

Narrated by James Anderson Foster
Presented by Marvel & Dreamscape Media


Pretty mediocre, and minus points for the mumbling narrator.

This professes to be a 'creative novelisation' but it didn't seem all that creative to me. The episodes play out like a cartoon, where the bad guys are incompetent and constantly foiled.

It's Strange taking on Mordo and Nightmare again and again and it was just dull. It would have been better if there was a complete story here instead of multiple episodes. Or, inject a little more humour or something. It just needed something more.

That said, this would probably be a great book for young kids to enjoy, as it's not too dark and nothing is too complicated. Teens and pre-teens with an interest in Doctor Strange, Marvel and/or comics may find this to be an easy way to get into reading, and I can't fault it for that.

Don't recommend the audio, though, I'm afraid. I found the narrator's voice was so low that I was really struggling to make out what he was saying, even at full volume. There's also inconsistency with pace which was frustrating. Some of the characters were hard to tell apart, and others sounded more like a parody. This would honestly be an easy voice to fall asleep to, but as the narrator of this story, he wasn't working for me.

I'd recommend this one for younger readers, easily. For the general reading public this misses the mark a little, but fans of the Doctor Strange comics that inspired this novelisation may find it more entertaining.

With thanks to NetGalley for an audio ARC

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment