Wednesday 3 April 2024

Review: The Nowhere Girls

The Nowhere Girls The Nowhere Girls by Dana Perry
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

Narrated by Madeline Pell
Presented by Dreamscape Select


An interesting idea but not a lot really happens.

The story is classic: big shot FBI agent has to leave big shot fiancé to travel back to her home town to investigate a crime close to her heart. In this case, Nikki Cassidy is off to re-open the investigation into the death of her little sister fifteen years ago because another girl is missing in the present.

The setup was so familiar that it didn't suck me in right away - rather, I spent a lot of time rolling my eyes at the stereotypes. There's a strong focus on Nikki's relationships more than the criminal activity, and most of the book is Nikki talking to people.

There's very little progression in the actual crime side of things, and even the case itself is washed out and uninteresting. There are no twists along the way and very little action to speak of.

There's also way too much talk about the obvious situation of Nikki not actually wanting to marry the man she's engaged to. Yuck. I've read this same story in far too many other books - normally chick lit. I really didn't need it, here, since it adds nothing to the story OR the character.

When the revelations came, I really felt nothing. It was incredibly underwhelming, and all the connections were stretched a bit thin for my liking.

Narration was okay, but there were some spots where they'd obviously re-recorded lines and these stood out like a sore thumb. Listened easily at 2x speed and it flowed naturally.

Not too solid a crime novel, I'm afraid - there's better on offer elsewhere.

With thanks to NetGalley for an audio ARC

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment