Thursday 11 July 2019

Challenge Review: The Happiest Refugee

My #Dymocks52challenge 12/38 for Week 26.

Title: The Happiest Refugee
Author: Anh Do
Published: 1/9/2010
First appearance in 101: 2011
Years in 101: 8
2019 101 ranking: #25
Rating: 4 stars


Why I chose this book:

This was one that featured in every single list for the past five years (and beyond). I know of Anh Do and have enjoyed his comedy however his book never really drew me in. With this challenge, however, and his consistent appearance on the list, I thought it was time to give him a chance.

Thoughts:
This book right here makes me so glad I decided to do this challenge. It was so much more enjoyable than I was expecting! I think I read it in a day? It just held me captivated the entire time! It's such a fascinating story and there are a lot of dark moments but it's told with such humility and honesty and comes across as an inspiring story of hope and perseverance. I loved it so much.

You can read my full review on Goodreads here.


Verdict: Was it worthy?

A hundred times yes! This is a unique Aussie voice that has a heck of a story to tell. It's such an uplifting read and is incredibly powerful the way it goes about it. I loved it from start to finish and it was such an easy, enjoyable reading experience. I hope to see it on the list for many more years to come so people like me finally get around to giving it a chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment