Monday 8 July 2019

Challenge Review: My Brilliant Friend

My #Dymocks52challenge 11/38 for Week 25.

Title: My Brilliant Friend
Author: Elena Ferrante
Published: 19/10/11
First appearance in 101: 2016
Years in 101: 4
2019 101 ranking: #91
Rating: 2 stars


Why I chose this book:
4 years is a steady showing for the 101, so my curiosity was piqued. I liked the sound of this one - I don't mind reading historical fiction and with this being set in Italy in the 1950s it was something that was new to me.

Thoughts:

Another disappointing read that didn't quite capture my interests. I found it to be long and tedious, with characters I never really connected to. I also loathed the ending - it felt less like a cliffhanger and more like the book was just unfinished.

You can read my full review on Goodreads here.


Verdict: Was it worthy?
I'm open-minded enough to appreciate that a book I don't enjoy may still have merit. While I found this one to be quite draining, it is written lyrically in a way that will appeal to those who appreciate the art of language. It captures a snapshot of an Italian childhood in this era, and gives an honest portrayal of the fickleness of childhood relationships. While it wasn't the sort of read I enjoy, I can see how others might appreciate it more than me. I'd consider this one worthy.

No comments:

Post a Comment