Monday 15 July 2019

Challenge Review: The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

My #Dymocks52challenge 13/38 for Week 27.

Title: The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Author: Douglas Adams
Published: 12/10/79
First appearance in 101: 2008
Years in 101: 12
2019 101 ranking: #62
Rating: 2 stars

Why I chose this book:
I had to go back to the very first Top 101 list to find the first appearance of this book. 12 YEARS. That is a lot of love for this book! I was torn because it's always struck me as the kind of thing that would never appeal to me, but this challenge was all about paying tribute to the books chosen by Australian readers, and they sure as heck love this one.

Thoughts:
The bonus was that it was mercifully short, so I was able to read it in a day. And I'd kind of prepared myself for a book I was likely to hate. Hate is a strong word, but this was definitely not my kind of thing. It was ridiculous and nonsensical and I just didn't find it clever at all. I appreciate that there are so many people who love it, but it's just not my taste of humour.

You can read my full review on Goodreads here.


Verdict: Was it worthy?

Personally, I don't think so. But you can't argue with a public that has loved this book enough to vote for it 12 years in a row. I wonder how many have actually read it in that time, and how many are just voting based on their original love of it?

No comments:

Post a Comment