Sunday 28 July 2019

Review: With My Lazy Eye

With My Lazy Eye With My Lazy Eye by Julia Kelly
My rating: 1 of 5 stars

Dude.

What the french fries.

This book is just weird and hard to follow and completely random. Also, Lucy is kind of a d*ck.

It's basically the coming-of-age story of an Irish brat who constantly shirks responsibility, is horrible to her family, is constantly miserable and throwing tantrums, and lies to get what she wants. Honestly she's just not a nice person.

It's also told in such a scattered way that it takes a minute to properly understand what's happened, what's happening, and what has yet to happen. (view spoiler) I had zero attachment because I couldn't really keep up with the barrage of activity, though I did understand enough to feel sorry for this girl's parents.

As someone who has profound respect for my parents I was pretty appalled by the way Lucy acted and that never really changed. I don't understand why there was the whole ordeal of her failing eyesight because even that wasn't really explored enough for me to feel sorry for her. There was no character growth, there was no apparent depth to her and there was no point of redemption. I think it tried to do all those things but the writing was so terrible it never made its mark on me.

Also, this is another one of those horrible blurbs that alludes to stuff that doesn't even happen til the last 50 pages or so, so don't hold your breath for the story here.

Thankfully it was a short read because my attention span couldn't have lasted much longer with this one.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment